If History Repeats Itself, the 2020s Will Be a Great Decade

Image
~ written by Cody Collins The 1920s, 50s and 90s; what do these three decades have in common? They were all periods of prosperity in the U.S. that came after a major global downfall. Can we throw 2020 in there too? With the events that have unfolded from COVID-19, and the world coming to a halt, it seems like life will never be normal. But in time, life will go back to “normal,” even if it is a new normal. In “recent” history there have been several examples of crises affecting most of the world. And COVID-19 is no different. But in those instances of crisis, prosperity followed, especially for the U.S. Take a deep breath, if history repeats itself , everything will be alright. The 1920s: Pandemic, Great Depression And War Everyone knows of the Roaring Twenties. The 1920s were filled with glitter and extravagance. The turmoil before this prosperity was two-fold though. Many hoped WWI would be the war to end all wars. That is how devastating and involved it was compared to wars past.

Going Home


For months, I blamed the border restrictions for keeping me away from my home. It seemed like I was going to be having a dry spell in Portharcourt but it turned out amazingly great. I accomplished a lot; I bought a guitar, held amazing classes, started a blog, read great books, and had lots of company in the house, maybe even too much. 

On the 12th of July, I finally was coming back home. I boarded this sienna car by the side of the road as my preferred bus park was closed. The journey wasn't as smooth as I pictured because of this young pregnant lady and her husband who were both fat...making it hard to move around. To top it off, the driver didn't drop me at the preferred location like we discussed making me make an unnecessary stop with the tons of loads I had to carry along. But in the end, I got home safely and hopefully without the COVID-19 virus. 

I couldn't help but notice the humble attempts by Nigerians - hawkers and passersby - made to stay safe. But it was way off. Everyone wore masks not really to stay safe but like an access card to move around as around 95% didn't cover up properly or even at all. The distancing even in commercial vehicles was a fluke, with everybody cutting corners where they can. Coronavirus was now a clichΓ© for the most part. 

 Going home wasn't as exciting as it should have been. This time I was coming with uncertainty about my future and career. I had launched several different enterprises online--a great community, Graphic designing enterprise, and training programs....even though still struggling to hold their own but they were great prospects for the future.

But coming back I was going to be involved in an apprenticeship outfit in a profession that I had lost faith in, that was going to probably take my time off the wonderful online activities and businesses I was already used to and part of. Plus it was going to take away most of the time I would want to invest in other businesses I was already nursing interest for. It just felt like my wings were being cut off somehow.

You see, I'm a very ambitious person with tons of interests. There are like five different unrelated careers I want to establish myself in, not to mention the hobbies I have which need constant learning and time to improve. 

But have you ever felt like you are moving too fast? Like you just need to cut somethings off for a while and just focus on one thing at a time. Well, that was me. I knew I had to do that to make real progress. It's hard really, to postpone a dream for a while for another. The fear of losing that dream completely will always be there. And sometimes you don't even know which one to focus on.

This I believe is where we just have to take a leap of faith. I think we just need to figure out what's best for us at the moment with the resources available, time, and maybe interest. 

Creating a road map for yourself would be the best thing you could do at this point. Set out what you need to be doing now... In 2 years..and the next. 

At each stage, revaluation of how and what you're doing would now help us know what we need to be doing; If we are established enough to begin something new, still trying to stay firm and requiring more time or just struggling to keep your head above water and needing to move on. 

Also, learning to accept that you might fail at something even though it seems to be a winner is great. It takes the pressure of. There is no success without failure... Just remember that. Accept that this is you at the time making your own decisions as best informed as you can. 

I've understood that it's better to risk being the best at something than being mediocre at everything. Opportunities they say comes but once but the truth is some opportunities will always be there. Take your time to learn the things you need to. Wait your turn if you have to but always stay focus on your game plan.


So for me, I know I want to be successful and all, but I've got to put in the time. I've got to walk in my own stride and at my own pace. Right now the said profession is something I still have an interest in, the opportunity is there like never before and my prospects sincerely are high. So I'm going all in, placing some of my dreams on the road map and looking up to God. 

Thanks for reading. If you resonate with what I'm saying, have had a similar experience, or feel like you're in that place right now please drop a comment about it. 

Subscribe to get our posts from Cozzy Thoughts directly to your email by clicking the subscribe button at top of the page.

Get our exclusive monthly newsletters to learn interesting lifestyle techniques and stories through this link. (No spamming of course)



Comments

  1. I've felt like I'm moving too fast and not even even getting much done. Not to talk of the times I've compared myself to others.

    But I'm fine 😊
    Doing the best I can with the resources I have.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just focus on your dreams... Looking sideways is a distraction... But if you must do, it to get inspiration and fire to do more.

      Delete
  2. It's better to risk being the best at something

    Thank you for this

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If History Repeats Itself, the 2020s Will Be a Great Decade

What eating habits should I adopt| The concept of eating right